Friday, November 7, 2008

Missed Flight

A few years ago I was packed tightly on a commuter plane in Canada. I was frustrated in missing my flight that morning to speak at a conference, knowing that I would arrive at 9 PM that evening instead of 4 PM, and had to spend an extra $300! In losing money, it seems we automatically think of the things we could have used the funds for ($300 would enable 15 street children in Manila to attend camp for one week or could have purchased needed tires for the car) and then we really feel bad!

However, in thinking back on why I missed the flight, it was well worth $300. In losing track of time, I was able to dictate several letters to encourage and assist team members overseas; pray with the USA office team (for our missionary members around the world); meet with two missionary leaders in preparation for a training conference; talk to my sick daughter; and encourage my son in a difficult decision.

Come to think of it, I didn’t lose $300...it was money well spent. And you know what? I’m not going to get new tires for the car , but I am going to write a check to send those 15 street children to camp. So now, it’s not $300 lost, but $600 used for the glory of God!

No comments: