Tuesday, July 29, 2008

American Evangelicals Believe There Are Different Ways to Heaven

Recently I was reading an excellent blog of Randy Alcorn entitled “American Evangelicals Believe There Are Different Ways to Heaven” (http://www.randyalcorn.blogspot.com/). In the article it says the following:
___________________

“I believe that everything I write, fiction or nonfiction, is subject to scrutiny by God's Word. We should take our cues from the Berean Christians, who “received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day” to determine whether what they were being taught was true (Acts 17:11).

Jesus didn’t say, “I am a way and a truth and a life; I’m one way to come to the Father.” He said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

This spring Oprah said on her television program, that when it comes to getting to heaven, "There couldn't possibly be just one way." So, does Oprah know something Jesus didn't know? Or did Jesus know something Oprah doesn't know? (No offense, Oprah, but I'm putting my money on Jesus.)

Raised in a culture that condemns such thinking as narrow and intolerant, even many Christians now consider it arrogant and out-of-date to say that only those who trust in Jesus will go to heaven.

It certainly would be arrogant if we were the ones who came up with it. But we didn’t. We’re just repeating what Jesus said. We’re not trusting ourselves; we’re trusting Him. If it were up to us, we’d think up something more popular, wouldn't we? But it’s not up to us. He said it. Our choice is to believe it or reject it. I for one am not going to tell God He's mistaken.”
____________________

Let’s be diligent, dear friend, in sharing the glorious Gospel of Christ with others.

Jesus said, “Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me” (John 14:6, nasb)


No comments: