Monday, July 14, 2008

Little Lady in the Cancer Ward

Several years ago while going through cancer treatment, I was in a room with about 15 other oncology patients in a major Seattle hospital waiting for treatment.

As I sat there feeling sorry for myself, ill and miserable along with these others, I looked around and realized everyone was a sorry mess! In fact, we were all in such terrible shape, it was quite humorous. As I smiled, a little black lady sitting across from me said, “What’s so funny?”

I said, “Oh, what do you mean?


She said, “Why do you have that smile on your face?”

I said, “Well, ma’am, have you looked around this room? We are the most sorry-looking bunch of people you have ever seen!”

She replied, “Well, why is that funny!”

I said, “You are correct, it is not really anything to smile about! I am so ill I feel like lying on the floor right now and dying because I am going to heaven and I can hardly wait to get there!”

She said, “Are you going to heaven? Well, so am I.”

I asked, “How do you know you are going to heaven?”

She gave her testimony of how she came to faith in Christ. She shared how she was such a wicked person but someone shared with her the Gospel of salvation by faith in Christ alone.

As she related how she turned from sin and trusted the Savior, her face beamed. Here was a little lady with red spots all over her beautiful black skin, who could hardly talk because her face was so skinny and drawn that her false teeth didn’t fit properly, whose wig was off to one side, and yet she glowed with the joy of the Lord.

When she finished she said, “And how do you know you are going to heaven?” So, I shared how Christ had worked in my life, how I had come to repentance, and that I had trusted Him for salvation.

It was amazing how two sickly, miserable-looking people could share what Christ had done in and through their lives for His glory with 13 other people listening intently.

It was worth having cancer to be able to share the Gospel so openly in a cancer ward.

No comments: