Friday, February 20, 2009

Pigs Running Wild and Salvation in Christ!

When I was a freshman in high school, trying to make my way through school not really knowing how to read or write, I always chose what I thought to be the easiest classes. One class was an agricultural class and I even became a member of Future Farmers of America.

In my English class, we all were assigned to give a demonstration speech on a topic such as how to blow a trumpet, how to thread a needle, how to read a book, how to make a kite, and so on.

I chose a topic that I thought would be quite easy and fit in with what I was learning in my agricultural class and that was how to notch the ears of a pig.

So, on the day of my speech, I took a piglet to class; however this was a young pig, not really a piglet which was supposedly not to bleed much. However, as my friends tried to hold the pig while I attempted to cut the notches in the ears, the pig jerked causing me to cut a big hunk out of the poor pig’s ear! Blood went everywhere!

The girls in the front row screamed and one fainted. The pig got loose, and while slipping and sliding on the blood on the floor, instead of catching it, I knocked over a desk. It was pandemonium!

Later, after being man-handled by my teacher to the principal’s office, the principal simply said, “Doug, you are nothing but trouble. You can’t even give a speech without causing a problem!”

Yes, I was trouble then, and as I became older, I became even worse in thievery and drunkenness. But praise God for His grace, when at age 21 someone shared with me the Good News of Salvation in Christ and in Him alone and I turned to Christ in simple repentance and faith.

Someone said, “No one is so bad that he is beyond grace’s reach, or so good that he is not in grace’s need!

…so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life (Titus 3:7).

No comments: