Monday, May 4, 2009

I Know We Are Right!

by Doug Nichols

Margaret and I were in a department store to buy some extra-warm undershirts for Dad Jespersen a couple of years ago when he was 92.

A sale was going on so the store was crowded. As we stood in line to pay, we chatted with an elderly couple, their daughter and granddaughter. Our conversation soon turned to the topic of large families and they proudly informed us that they were Mormons.

The man jokingly said, “I would like to have more wives, but I have only one.”
His wife laughed, but suddenly her demeanor changed as she said, “I don’t care what anyone says about Mormons, I know we are right!”

Even though I am often intimidated by strangers, fearful of arguments and not gifted in evangelism, I replied, “You say you think you are right, but only One is perfectly right, and that is God. He sent His Son, Jesus, in the flesh to this earth, and Jesus said, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me’ ” (John 14:6, nasb).

At that moment, the store clerk said to me, “Next.”

I hoped Jesus’ words lingered in the ears of those around us. Jesus said clearly that He is the only way to heaven.

No comments: