Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thanks for Talking Nicely About Your Wife!

Recently I visited a senior center in the Seattle area to register my 98-year-old father-in-law for one of its programs. While at the center, I had a cup of coffee and got into a discussion with three of the volunteer cooks. I happened to mention something about my wife, Margaret, and they asked, “How long have your been married?”

I replied, “forty-three years!” I mentioned how wonderful it is to be married to such a wonderful lady!

Later, as I walked to the parking lot, one of the cooks was also walking to her car. She stopped me and said, “I want to thank you for talking about your wife so nicely!We were all so encouraged.”

She went on to say, “Wives always appreciate kindness and love from their husbands.”

I later thought what a small thing this was and how speaking nicely about someone else encourages all those who hear.

Our speech, as God’s people, should always be seasoned with salt, giving grace to those who hear.

Colossians 4:6, Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt ...

No comments: