Monday, December 6, 2010

How to Give Money to the Homeless

A friend of mine, Pastor Mike Paddy, has worked with the poor for many years, not only in the USA, but in the Philippines as well. He gives the following guidelines in giving money to the homeless.

He says…

“I look them in the eye, I ask them their name. I tell them that I am a Christian and that God the Father mandates me to help people in need. I am going to give you some help but I want you to know that this money is not from me but from God who loves you. As I hand it to him, I pray, ‘Father help this person with this small gift in hope of discovering your love for him, in Jesus name.’ You see when we fulfill the law of God in loving our neighbor in a righteous and godly way, I know I can trust God to do the work in his heart and soul to minister and Lord willing, bring that person to a place of salvation, repentance and a new life in Christ.

When we ‘justify’ our behavior of not helping suggesting that the money will be wasted, we are not trusting the Lord. After all, weren’t we just as bad off in God’s sight as sinners before we knew the Savior? (Romans 3:9-18).

No comments: