Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bad Haircut ... I have now had the worst!

To save money, I had my hair cut by a student barber (a young man in training to cut hair). I told him I only wanted a trim. As he began cutting, I asked him about his life. He began to talk, and as he talked, he cut, and as he cut, he talked more and more!

Hair was flying in all directions as he excitedly told me about his life in Laos, growing up in a very violent community, and immigrating to the states with his parents. Being totally out of his culture and wanting acceptance, he joined a gang, became involved in drugs and violence, and eventually went to prison.

I began to share the Gospel, and as I shared, he continued to cut more and more. I started to become worried, but then asked myself what was more important: to have a proper hair cut or for this young man to hear the Gospel. As I continued to share the good news of Christ, he listened closely.

So, yes it is a disaster of a haircut and I am uglier than ever, but at least I was able to share the Gospel with a young man from Laos recently out of prison.

No comments: