Wednesday, April 11, 2012
What People Spend Money On!
While traveling recently (2010), I noticed a magazine on the plane and was quite shocked at the prices people pay for various items and accommodations.
For example: Watches
1 The Carnet de Bal watch from Audemars Piguet is a unique timepiece that transforms beautiful garden flowers into sparkling diamonds. $943,000
2. The C1 Chronograph Pure from Concord is a thick [16.7mm] block of stainless steel metal topped off with white rubber. $11,900
3. The Instrumentino S10 from de Grisogono is a white watch through and through. From its 18K white gold case set with 405 white diamonds to the white gold dial covered in another 312 white diamonds, this is a watch of pure beauty. $87,200
4. The whirlwind of white diamonds swirling around the mother-of-pearl dial and white gold bezel of Boucheron's Crazy Ma Jolie make for a stunning and unexpected timepiece. $77,000
One Night of Accommodations:
5. Los Cabos Three Bedroom Penthouse (Mexico)
Key selling points -- Enjoy spectacular bay views with large furnished terraces and private open-air Jacuzzis. Situated on the top level of the resort, all 13 spectacular Penthouses boast unobstructed, awe-inspiring vistas of the Sea of Cortez, Land's End and the vibrant Medano Beach. Amenities: Three 32-inch flatscreen and one 42-inch flatscreen satellite TVs, 2,000 to 4,500 sq. ft, 7 rooms, and 4 bathrooms. Nightly rates: $900 to $3500.
6. San Jose Del Cabo Villa Cortez (Mexico)
Private screening theater, 12-person staff in addition to 24-hour live-in staff, editing/production media studio and outdoor fire pits. 8,500 sq. foot; 113 rooms; and five and one half-bathrooms. Nightly rates from $7,000.
7. Puerto Vallarta Grand Velas (Mexico)
This suite features a master bedroom with king bed, plasma TV, walk-in closet and an interior bathroom with wall-to-wall marble, steam room, interior chromotherapy Jacuzzi and Aquatower shower with six jets, goose down comforters and pillows, 42-inch LCD flatscreen with digital cable, Nespresso coffee maker, and DVD/CD/ MP3 player, 5059 sq. ft., 5 rooms in a suite, and two and a half baths. Nightly rates $10,000.
8. Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo Penthouse Suite (Mexico)
The Penthouse Suite is a private and indulgent sanctuary with space to spare. The outdoor living room affords breathtaking and unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean, as well as a private plunge pool, built-in seating area, dining space and lounge. Bedside "touch" panel for all main room functions lights, fan, air conditioning, two LCD-TVs, WiFi, 1150 sq. ft., two rooms in the suite, and three and a half baths. Nightly rates from $1095.
9. Waldorf Astoria Penthouse Suite (Rome, Italy)
This lavish suite is adorned with important works of art [including an Andy Warhol series], furnished in palatial style with a magnificent Karl Lagerfeld sofa, and features a private panoramic roof terrace with a gazebo, a solarium and a memorable view over the Eternal City. Fiber-optic star-lit ceilings, private wine cellar, 43- and 61-inch plasma TVs, a 2,300-square-foot private roof garden, 2115 sq. ft., two rooms in suite, one and a half bathroom. Nightly rate $12,341.
10. St. Regis Royal Suite (Rome, Italy)
Enjoy a piano in the living room and a private wine cellar to yourself. This jewel of a suite offers a combination of restored Piedmontese, Louis XVI and other fine furnishings, dating back to the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. 4320 sq. ft., two and a half bathrooms. Nightly rate $19,000.
Rather than you or I desiring riches of watches and soft beds, let us follow the teaching of the God’s Word to gain godly insight and wisdom. “For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity’ (Proverbs 2:6-7, nasb).
If the Lord has given us wealth, let us use it for God’s glory. “One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, and He will repay him for his good deed” (Proverbs 19: 17, nasb).