Monday, November 25, 2013

What is wrong with working through the night?

I have often prayed about the Middle East and terrorist activities in various parts of the world.  I have also been mediating on 1 Corinthians 15:58, especially the phrase “. . .always abounding in the work of the Lord . . .”

Even though soldiers need their rest to do an adequate job, many times they are in very dangerous battle situations where they are unable to sleep, but work many hours through the day and night to accomplish their strategic battle goals.

As a Christian, I am also in a battle, not only in dealing with the worldly effects on my own flesh, but especially battling for the souls of men; the crisis we are facing with the AIDS pandemic, prostitution of millions of children, 160 million children on the streets, 145 million orphans worldwide, 13 million AIDS orphans in Africa, the plight of the tsunami victims, and the oppression of the extremely poor throughout the world.  Is it wrong for us, while in a spiritual battle, to not get the rest we want or even need? 

It is not always easy to go to bed when you know a brother is dealing with an extremely difficult situation in the Philippines, or a pastor in Zambia does not have enough food for his family, or a Christian worker in Cuba does not have theological study books to preach and teach his people.  It is not easy to spend money when you know a camp for a thousand children is cancelled in Malawi for lack of only $3 per child to cover expenses. 

Is it right to give our health as a gift to the Lord in sacrificial service?  We are not to be foolish, but is there a place to be “a fool for Christ”?  Someone said, “If Christ be God, and died for me than no sacrifice is too great for me to make for Him.”

Because of my cancer several years ago, my doctors told me I possibly only had a few months to live; yet I have lived ten years since then.  I am thankful to God for these ten additional years of service to and for Him!  But I am wondering, “Have I really given my life as much as I should have in sacrificial service to Him these ten years for His glory?”


“Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:1-2)

No comments: