Monday, June 18, 2012

Man, Did I Dance!

by Doug Nichols


As a non-Christian in junior high and high school, I began to dance.  Man, did I dance!  Anytime there was music, I was dancing – rock and roll, waltz, you name it. 

As a senior I was invited to the Girls’ League Ball (which the girl invites the boy).  This was the biggest event of the year, fancy dress and all.

My date picked me up in a chauffeured-driven limousine.  I was really dressed up.  I even wore shoes!
While I was dancing with my date, who wore a gown with a full petticoat, asked if her slip was showing.  Jokingly, I said, “Oh, yes!  It shows about a foot.”  Just about that time, the whole thing fell off!  Instead of slipping out of the slip, picking it up and going into the Ladies Room to put it back on, she scooted all the way across the dance floor to the laughter and howling of everyone there.

Needless to say, she did not take me home that night.  I had to hitch a ride.  Was she ever mad!

When I came to faith in Christ, I gave up drinking beer, whiskey, rum and vodka. Dancing also went, not because of it being sinful in itself, but because of where I went to dance and with whom I danced.

Yes, dancing is in the Old Testament in worship, but never in the New Testament or in any description of activity in Heaven.

No comments: