Monday, November 14, 2011

Do you go to God with small matters, as well as big?

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6).

One night I began meditating on these two verses. They are a wonderful, encouraging, as well as convicting passage of Scripture.

The next morning, I went through Proverbs 3 again and read several commentaries on it.

The saintly Matthew Henry states that so often we only go to God with the big things that we consider important instead of relying on God in everything, even the small things.

I was bothered by a certain “small thing” that morning as I needed to remove the four heavy back seats from our van to make room for many heavy boxes of used Christian books that had been donated by a church for needy pastors in the Philippines.

I was scheduled to speak at the church the next day. They had the books ready for me to load into our van after the service, but I did not know how to remove the seats.

To make things even more difficult, my hands were arthritic, and I was dealing with high blood pressure and a bad shoulder which made the task even more frustrating.

As I was struggling over what to do, I prayed, “Lord, to many people this may be a simple thing, so maybe it is. So will You help me figure out how to get the seats out of the van so I can load the books which are for needy pastors in the Philippines?”


I went back into the house to do more study for the message I was to give the next morning. After I had warmed up a bit, I put on a pair of work gloves and went out to try to figure out a way to remove those heavy seats.

Believe it or not, the seats were out and safely stored on our back porch out of the rain within ten minutes! I was even able to phone my strong and younger friend who had volunteered to help to let him know that he would no longer need to come, as the job was done!

Yes, in all things we are to “trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”

I guess this might include limited abilities and strength.







No comments: