Friday, June 4, 2010

Do you have to be Filipino to be nice?

Recently while visiting a friend in a hospital, I ate at the cafeteria. While in line to pay for my food, I noticed a commotion at the front of the line near the cash register. I realized that a couple did not have funds to pay for their food; their credit or debit card did not work and they had no cash. I stepped to the front of the line and offered to include their charges on my bill. However, the cashier said, “No, sir! I will take care of it.”

I found out later that she personally was going to cover their bill, but her supervisor told her that the hospital would pay.

Isn’t that something? This young lady, who probably needed funds herself, offered to pay for the financial needs of an embarrassed, older couple. I thanked her for her kindness and generosity which is typical of Filipinos.

However, we do not need to be Filipino to be nice. Maybe you are Chinese, German, Irish, Ugandan, or whatever background you are as a Christian, let’s reach out to others in the kindness of Christ which opens the door to share the glorious Gospel of salvation in Christ, and in Him alone.

[Footnote: This is one of the reasons why it is important to always carry cash enabling you to help others without hesitation wondering whether you have enough money or not. Just do it!]

No comments: