Monday, January 4, 2010

Cancer Survivor by God's Grace

Yes, by God’s grace I am a survivor of colon cancer which was diagnosed in 1993 and treated over the next year. God's hand was on my life through this experience, especially in giving me two extraordinary doctors. Dr. Dan was the skilled surgeon who, when faced with a difficult choice in the middle of my surgery, stopped and asked God for direction. The decision he made helped save my life.

The second doctor par excellence was Dr. Saul. All of the patients who are privileged to be in his care loved this man and appreciated his dedication to each one of us. He aggressively attacked any cancer cells that escaped the knife.

Several months later, during a regular checkup with Dr. Saul, he mentioned that he had only one other patient with similar circumstances who was still alive.

"Why do you think God allowed you to live when so many others have died?" he asked me. I was taken aback by his question but then thought of several possible reasons. I replied that in God’s plan, He gave me cancer so I could share the Gospel with him.

It was also, during my painful year of chemo treatment that God gave Margaret and me a concern for Africa, especially to the 13 million AIDS orphans. In the intervening years, by God’s grace we began ministry in four African countries as well as continuing to minister in our beloved Philippines!

In a discussion with my former surgeon and now friend, Dr. Dan, in which we were planning a medical outreach with him to Uganda, I told him about my conversation with Dr. Saul. Dr. Dan concurred about the severity of my cancer and shocked me by saying that I was one of his worst cases who survived.

Margaret and I are humbled that God has allowed me to live these extra years (now in 2023, age 80). Whether I die today or next week, my prayer is to be pleasing to our Heavenly Father. In the words of John Newton, "I am a wretched sinner, but I have a wonderful Savior!"

No comments: