Monday, July 6, 2009

I'm a Coward and Possibly You Are Too!

In the Philippines, I had breakfast with one of our older missionaries who, along with his wife, works in the international community in Metro Manila.

This gracious, loving couple also has a burden for the poor and are engaged in a very effective but difficult ministry among the 20,000 prisoners in the national prison on the outskirts of Manila. What brave people they are! Such a ministry would be very hard for me, and possibly for you too.

I am 67 years old and over the years I have worked in and started ministries in dangerous places including jails and prisons, but I am basically a coward and (again I repeat) possibly you are too.

At least we can recognize our cowardliness and pray for a measure of fearlessness to do what needs to be done, brave or not. We can also trust God to raise up fearless men and women with a holy boldness to work in dangerous situations for the gospel and compassionate care for His glory.

Let’s you and I, as cowards, also pray that God would continue to raise up men and women, like you and me, who are still cowards but who will trust God anyway to be used for His glory, fearful or not.

O give us help against the adversary, for deliverance by man is in vain. Through God we shall do valiantly, and it is He who will tread down our adversaries (Psalm 60:11-12 NASB).

No comments: