Monday, February 23, 2009

Why are we not more friendly and kind to others?

I am most likely coming to the end years of my life. I am 77 years old and probably do not have too many more years. I was supposed to die twenty-five years ago with cancer as the doctors only gave me three months to live.

I was waiting at the pharmacy for a prescription. An older lady seemed quite distressed with problems and about losing some prescriptions. As she was leaving, I simply said, “I am sorry you are having such difficulty. Is there anything I can do to help?”

She immediately started to talk about how she lost her purse, how her medicines were not working, her diabetes count was up, and so on. She followed me as I went through the line and stayed with me until I got my prescription. When I was leaving she said, “Thank you for talking to me. I appreciate it very much!”


Our brief conversation probably irritated the other people in line, as the lady was quite loud. But so what! She was blessed in the Name of Christ for a few moments and I trust God will use this brief kindness in her life to manifest His glory.

So, don’t be like what my grandkids call a “grumpy gut”. Smile. Say Hello. Be friendly. As Christ has changed our life and given us a new life in Him, does the world see this change? Are we just as grumpy, rude, and miserable as the world, or do we have the joy of Christ evident in our life?

So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience (Colossians 3:12).




No comments: