Monday, October 20, 2008

Know What the Bible Says about Life and Euthanasia

1. Human life is sacred because man is made in God’s image.
"Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’" - Genesis 1:26

2. God alone is sovereign over life and death.
"See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand." - Deut. 32:39

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." - Psalm 139:16

"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will…" - Ephesians 1:11

"Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment." - Hebrews 9:27

3. Suicide is defined as self-killing.
"Thou shall not kill." - Exodus 20:13

"Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." - 2 Tim 2:3

4. The human body belongs to God.
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

“Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.” - I Peter 4:1-2

5. Suffering can draw us closer to God.
"We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead." - II Corinthians 1:8-9

"But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - II Corinthians 12:9

6. The eternal transcends the temporal.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." - II Corinthians 4:16-18

7. God's steadfast love offers us hope.
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38

8. We can glorify God even in death.
"Jesus called out with a loud voice, ‘Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.’ When he had said this, he breathed his last. The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, ‘Surely this was a righteous man.’" - Luke 23:46-47

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death." - Philippians 1:20

9. Jesus Christ offers us ultimate victory over suffering."For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 6:23

"When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: ‘Death has been swallowed up in victory.’ - I Corinthians 15:54

Source: http://www.cmda.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Assisted_Suicide_Euthanasia&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=4592

No comments: