Thursday, September 11, 2008

$7 for a Glass of Wine

Recently, my wife and I were on a Washington State Ferry, and as I was getting a bag of popcorn, two ladies in front of me were buying a glass of wine. I was shocked to hear the price, and asked, “What was the cost of the small plastic cup of wine you bought?” They answered, “$7”. I replied, “$7!”

Later I thought, “Wow! I am sure glad I do not drink anymore. Look at all the money I save!”

I guess people can drink if they want to and spend their money how they want; it is all relative isn’t it?

But, what does $7 pay for? I can buy Dad Jespersen his favorite Thai or Chinese dinner for only $7 or a beautiful bouquet of flowers for Margaret.

As far as ministry is concerned, ACTION will have a camp in Malawi, Africa, for 1000 children in October. The camp is two days and the cost is only $3 per child! This small amount includes meals, materials, facilities, the gospel and compassionate care – all for only $3 or two children for less than $7!

So, I guess if some people want to sip a little wine, fine, but wouldn’t it be great to send two orphans to camp for two days instead, especially if they might hear the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ?

No comments: