Tuesday, August 19, 2008

What? $2.55 for a Little Cup of Lemonade?

One time on my way home, I stopped at a lemonade stand. The two little girls were so excited to have a customer! I asked, “How much?” They said, “Well, look at the sign.” So, I looked at the sign and could hardly read it, but it looked like it said $2.55. I said, “I just want a little cup of lemonade,” and they said, “Okay, that’s $2.55.”

I asked, “How big is the cup?” One of them said, “I don’t know. What size would you like?” I said, “Those cups don’t look very big to me, and I can’t afford $2.55 for a glass of lemonade.” One of them quickly said, “Okay, how about 55 cents?” I said, “That sounds pretty good, but can I see the lemonade?” She said, “Oh no, it’s inside this container here.” I said, “Well, what color is it?” She said, “I think it’s pink.” The other one said, “No, it’s not!”

As much as I like to help little kids in their entrepreneurial efforts, I decided that since the two girls were arguing about what size it was, what color it was, and how much to charge, I needed to keep going!

This may be a picture of the church these days. We have the glorious Gospel and are still trying to figure out how to present it, what color to paint it, and how big a cup to serve it in. It might be best to leave it as it is, do what the Word of God says, and simply tell the Good News to people.

The Gospel is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes. It is the Good News of Christ and His death on the cross to pay the penalty for sin. Because of His grace, we can come to Him by faith. Now that is good news, no matter what color you paint it or what container you serve it in!

Jesus said, I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved (John 10:9).

No comments: