Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Honor to Whom Honor

In this rude, disrespectful world, it is refreshing to read simple teachings in the Word of God, such as giving honor to others.

Romans 12 and 13 give very practical guidelines for God’s people to live the life of Christ, being salt and light, in a dark, cruel world.

Take, for example, the simple phrase, Render to all what is due them…honor to whom honor (Romans 13:7).

Recently Margaret and I were discussing the men and women who have influenced us in practical daily living for Christ. When I was twelve, my widowed mother remarried, and we moved to Southern California to the little desert town of Indio.

As a 12-year-old boy, it was difficult for me to find work that summer. I began to go door-to-door asking for odd jobs. One kind, older man, Mr. Jones, hired me to mow his lawn, using his lawn mower since I did not have one. He was very patient and kind, and took time to show me how to use the lawn mower and do a good job.

Mr. Jones knew that I was trying to find other lawns to mow and that I did not have a lawn mower. He said if I would mow his lawn throughout the summer for free, he would give me his mower. What a wonderful, generous offer!

He inspected some of the lawns I worked on and showed me how to do a better job. Soon I had more than I could do and began to hire other kids to help me. He taught me how to supervise and pay them properly. By the end of the summer, I had eight others working with me.

Over the next three years my lawn mowing business grew such that I had to hire older people to help me including one with a car to drive and pull my gardening trailer to various mowing sites. When I was 15, I had a crew of nearly 20.

I have often thought of Mr. Jones. Not only did he reach out to me as an unknown 12-year-old nobody with no job skills, but he patiently and kindly instructed me in basic work skills. Mr. Jones, therefore, was a man I sought to emulate when I came to Christ years later.

Another man to whom honor is due is my father-in-law, Walter Jespersen. Margaret and I had the privilege of living with him for several years. Even in his 90’s, and could never see or hear well, he still radiated Christ’s love and had a desire to continue to walk with God and minister to others the loving care and good news of salvation in Christ.

A good description of Dad Jespersen was in a “thank you” note he received from Daren Beck, a mission leader In Cambodia. Dad wanted me to send Daren four of his books by the Puritan John Owen which he knew Daren would appreciate because of his love for the Puritan writers. The note to Dad read as follows:

Dear Mr. Jespersen,

Knowing that these books might be in the mail, we opened up the box immediately upon receiving them today! Thank you for the wonderful volumes by John Owen. His godly wisdom is a breath of fresh air. I pray that God will use his ongoing ministry to encourage, exhort and challenge me in my personal pursuit of Christ. These books represent a treasured gift from you and testify to the persevering work of the Holy Spirit in your own life over the years. Thank you for your godly example! Be encouraged, as your life is a vibrant testimony of God’s grace and a source of wonderful encouragement to many.

In His Bonds, Daren Beck (Colossians 1:28-20)

So, dear friends, whom shall we honor today?

Let us be men and women who obey this simple, but important, command in God’s Word.

Render to all what is due them…honor to whom honor (Romans 13:7).

No comments: